TREKKING

Going on "trek." That is the quintessential word for missionary life. I grew up with the word. Dad did "it" as a missionary in Nigeria. It is part of South African history. It flavors my thoughts of Africa. It is "the" word of my life. Pack up your tent and join me!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

OUT WEST

I am presently on a swing through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana with a variety of stops. This is fantastic country. In addition to the dramatic landscape with some snow-capped mountains, they have a speed limit of 75 mph. Not quite as good as being on the autobahn in Germany with no speed limit… but I love to take every mile they'll give me. With the local wildlife crossing the highway, 75 may not be such a good idea. After Atlanta… it sure is good to see an open road without other cars.



One of the core values of BMW is our commitment to the local church. We recognize that we are a para-church organization and the only reason to exist is to serve local churches. We have often referred to ourselves as "second chair" in the orchestra. The church is always "first chair." Our role is to support and harmonize with the lead violin in this orchestra. With that in mind, much of my trip is related to serving local churches. I was in Montana meeting with the pastor of the sending church of a couple (the Richards) that joined BMW this summer to go to Vanuatu. We work to have a relationship with sending churches. Our job is to serve both the missionary and their sending church… so it takes a one-on-one connection with those churches. This weekend, I'll be speaking in a missions conference at a church in Colorado Springs. Mesa Hills supports 7 BMW missionaries. So hopefully, my ministry will give something back to this wonderful church.


In between, I am visiting Frontier School of the Bible. This is a solid Bible Institute of about 200 students that is focused on training people for church ministry. They are located in a small town in Wyoming… cattle ranching country. This setting provides great opportunity for ministry because there are many small churches throughout the area that do not have a pastor or sufficient workers. This Institute has launched many into missions. Some have come with BMW. So I am here speaking in chapel and speaking to prospective missionaries.

After meeting with some pastors Friday… I am moving on down to Colorado Springs to speak in a missions conference this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home