TREKKING

Going on "trek." That is the quintessential word for missionary life. I grew up with the word. Dad did "it" as a missionary in Nigeria. It is part of South African history. It flavors my thoughts of Africa. It is "the" word of my life. Pack up your tent and join me!

Monday, May 10, 2010

SINGING



While in South Africa we visited one of the BMW churches that is being started among the “Colored” population. That is a legitimate term regularly used in South Africa to describe one of the population groups. This church meets in an abandoned farm house on the edge of a squatter camp. The facilities are rather spartan. The people are not affluent. But they are rich in their faith. One of the ways this manifests itself is in their singing. I have never… yes I said never… heard a church sing with such abandon. It obviously helped to have low ceilings. But with no mics or amplification or instruments it was like surround sound on steroids. I realize other cultures are perhaps more reserved in personality and thus in their singing. But what a jolt to be in a group who let it rip when it came to singing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home