TREKKING

Going on "trek." That is the quintessential word for missionary life. I grew up with the word. Dad did "it" as a missionary in Nigeria. It is part of South African history. It flavors my thoughts of Africa. It is "the" word of my life. Pack up your tent and join me!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

FIJI



As I write this blog, I can hear the Muslim call to worship from the mosque about a mile away. It is amplified to reach into distant homes to rouse "the faithful" to their morning prayers. To a western ear it sounds more like wailing. Also included in the cacophony of sight and sound is the
colorful and grotesque Hindu images that forms the religion of almost half the people here.

Yesterday, we visited the Hindu temple pictured in this blog. It is a building erected over a "cobra rock" that is purported to have grown out of the ground and is now about 20 feet tall. The Hindu "faithful" come and make their offerings to this god of stone.




Many others here consider them selves "Christian" in name because they have historically belonged to a liberal and lifeless denomination that teaches good works for salvation. It is obvious there is a specific need for missionaries here.
Joan and I are heading further south to Australia for the weekend. Back to you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home